It’s been a pretty cool week, my friends! We completed our first photo shoot for Clabber Girl, Dave found a white wine that doesn’t give him a hangover, and I baked these Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. Hooray!
Now, maybe you guys have been hip to banana chocolate chip cupcakes from day one, but I’ve been in the dark. You see, bananas are for a quick snack, post-run smoothie, or the occasional banana bread. But cupcakes? Really? Nope, not for this gal.
Fortunately, Clabber Girl asked us to prepare and shoot some of their recipes and the banana chocolate chip cupcakes recipe was the last one. The moment I bit into it I knew I was all wrong to put limitations on this magical fruit.
“Never again!”, I cried, as I tried to stuff the entire cupcake into my mouth. When I came to my senses I knew I would never look at a banana the same way again. Ok, that sounded kinda weird.
This cupcake just works: the moist cake from the mashed bananas, the bits of sweetness from the chocolate chips and the frosting. Oh, the frosting, people! The fact that I had one dozen left over from the photo shoot was both a blessing and a curse. Eh, who am I kidding? It was just a blessing… like the no-hangover wine I’ve got chiilin’ in the fridge.
Recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes from Clabber Girl.
- 1¾ c. all-purpose flour
- 1¼ c. sugar
- 1 tbsp.Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. soft shortening (I used butter)
- ¾ c. mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- ⅓ c. evaporated milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 pkg (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Banana Frosting
- ¼ c. margarine, softened (I used butter)
- 2 tbsp. evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. banana flavoring
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. chocolate chips, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat muffin tin with baking spray or line with cupcake papers.
- Place flour, sugar, Clabber Girl Baking Powder and salt in a large bowl. Sift, if necessary.
- Throw bananas in processor and pulse until mashed. or, do so by hand.
- Place mashed bananas, shortening or butter, bananas, evaporated milk, vanilla, and eggs in a bowl. Mix until well blended, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour mixture with banana mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Banana Frosting:
- Combine margarine or butter and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk and banana flavoring,
- Blend until frosting is creamy.
- Pipe swirled frosting with a Wilton 1M tip.
- Garnish with mini chocolate chips