While recipe testing for Clabber Girl, I made The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies ever, so far. You know what I mean. I haven’t made every vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe out there; that would be insane. When would I have time to commute to school, marathon Homeland, or stare off dreamily as I eat peanut butter straight from the jar?
Never…and I’m not about to give up any of those things.
But I will most definitely take time out to make these cookies again and again and again. I took them to school and they were gone is less than five minutes. One dude took out his wallet and was like, “How much for more?”
My answer: I don’t know, man…enjoy the moment. Maybe I’ll bring some more next week. Maybe I’ll give them all to Dave. Maybe I’ll keep them under my bed…you know, for midnight snacks and whatnot.
It doesn’t really matter. What matters most is that these cookies are so good that I forgot that they’re vegan.
… and that’s something I’ll never forget.
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe adapted from Clabber Girl
- 1⅛ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp Clabber Girl Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup +2 tbsp non-hydrogenated shortening (such as palm oil)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil (I used canola)
- ¼ cup +2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup +2 tbsp light brown sugar (packed)
- 1½ tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, Clabber Girl Baking Soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Place shortening, canola oil and sugar in a mixer and combine until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in non-dairy milk and vanilla.
- Slowly add flour until fully combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips by hand.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons on a silpat or parchment paper and bake for 9 to 11 minutes (I like them slightly underbaked, so my baking time was closer to 9 minutes).