The Super Bowl is almost here!
Are you excited? Are you ready to stuff your face with super-fatty, artery-clogging, crazy delicious food?
I’m assuming that you’re nodding your head excitedly and thinking about the many beers you will drink with a mountain of spicy, buttery, this-is-what-I-was-really-waiting-for chicken wings.
This year I want you to take it in a different direction. I’m thinking…yes, to delicious, mouth watering buffalo wings, but no to the deep fryer and expanding your jeans 2 sizes.
Let’s make some reduced fat buffalo wings.
Stop laughing! I’m serious.
America’s Test Kitchen came up with a recipe that’s so crazy-good, I called my mom and told her she could still have buffalo wings on her diet. After she blew my eardrums with screams of joy, I went back to the recipe. Compared to a typical serving of Buffalo Wings, these wings have 50% less fat and 45% less calories per serving. Wtf?
I’m thinking…if I’m saving calories on wings, I can drink way more beer, right? Now, that’s what I’m talkin’ about!
Happy Super Bowl!
Recipe for Reduced Fat Buffalo Wings
Recipe from America’s Test Kitchen: Best Recipes and Reviews 2014
- 3 lbs chicken wings, cut at joints, wingtips discarded, trimmed (I used 2¾ lbs)
- 1 T baking powder
- ½ t salt
- ⅔ c Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1 T molasses
- Adjust rack to middle position.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Set metal rack in aluminum foil lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Pat wings dry with paper towels.
- Toss wings with salt and baking powder.
- Arrange wings in single layer on rack.
- Roast wings for about 40 minutes or until golden on both sides, flipping halfway through. (I did 45 minutes)
- Meanwhile, whisk hot sauce, butter, and molasses in large bowl. ( I used a measuring cup)
- Remove wings. Adjust oven rack 6 inches from broiler element.
- Broil for 6-8 minutes until golden on both sides, flipping halfway through. (I did 6 minutes)
- Add wings to sauce and toss to coat. ( I poured sauce directly onto wings and tossed to coat)
Reduced Fat Buffalo Wings: Behind the Scenes
To find out how this was photographed, check out Dave’s post – Reduced Fat Buffalo Wings: Behind the Scenes