I’m a big fan of ginger…and maybe an even bigger fan of these vegan ginger chocolate chip cookies. Now, don’t you worry. We’ll get to the cookies but first, let’s talk about this wondrous root.
There are so many health benefits that ginger gives, it:
- reduces pain and inflammation
- stimulates circulation
- reduces gas
- helps fight the common cold (I make a wonderful tea with it during flu season)
But what I really like about it is its spiciness-that zing it brings to almost everything you make with it.
Which brings me to the this vegan ginger chocolate chip cookies. What can I say about them? Um, they’ve got that spicy ginger touch, they’re studded with chocolate, they’re amazing! What I really like is that you can make them when you stumble in around 2 a.m. and you want a quick, sweet snack but there’s no butter or eggs in the house.
Yes, I am down for that!
Of course, you have to have some candied ginger on hand, which I usually do. If you do not, please go out and grab some…you know, preferably before that early morning stumble.
A few things I love about these cookies:
- Dough comes together easily.
- Chilling the dough isn’t necessary.
- They’ll be ready in about 30 minutes.
Recipe for Vegan Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe for Vegan Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1½ cup flour, 165 grams
- 1½ teaspoon ginger, 3 grams
- scant ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 teaspoons non-hydrogenated shortening, 84 grams
- ½ cup granulated sugar, 100 grams
- ¼ cup brown sugar, 50 grams
- 2 tablespoons applesauce, 30 grams
- 2 teaspoons milk almond
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips, 85 grams
- ½ cup chopped candied ginger, 71 grams
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpats.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Place shortening, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a mixer bowl. Beat until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in applesauce, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract. Beat for 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in candied ginger and chocolate chips by hand.
- Place rounded tablespoons of dough onto prepared cookie sheets, two inches apart.
- Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from sheets after a few minutes and let cookies completely cool on racks.
This post contains an affiliate link.