September is coming to an end…. and it’s still 90+ degrees here. C’mon, sun…give a sista a break! Still, I try to counteract the heat with easy drinks like the calimocho or basil beerade, but it’s not enough. Seriously, I’m freaking melting over heah <in my best mob voice>!
Now, I have many alcohol-fueled cocktails in my arsenal, but sometimes I want something that’s alcohol-free and refreshing without reaching for a $2/sugar-heavy soda (no offense Coke: I will always love you).
I present to you…Lemon Ginger Brew. It’s spicy and refreshing at the same time. Yeah, that’s a thing. It’s super versatile; I’ve made it with lemon and honey and lime and maple syrup. Both delicious. You can drink it straight (if you have a tongue of steel) or you can use it as a mixer. I like to mix mine with club soda or water. Either way, it makes for a very satisfying sugar-free elixir. Drink up!
Recipe for Lemon Ginger Brew
- 8 oz. ginger, peeled, chopped
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup agave syrup or honey
- 6 cups water
- Add peeled, chopped ginger to food processor.
- Pulse until ginger forms a paste.
- Scrape paste into a medium pot and add 6 cups water.
- Bring ginger concoction to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until mixture is reduced to about 3 cups. (I simmered mine for 35 minutes)
- Let cool.
- Pour mixture through a fine sieve.
- Press ginger pulp to remove all liquid.
- Pour liquid in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- Shake bottle or give it a good stir before drinking, ginger bits will settle at the the bottom.